Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Gifts all around


I painted this as a gift for a good friend who just had a baby. Confession, I copied it from a print I saw on Etsy. I do that because I can copy just about anything, but I have zero imagination. 
Now if only I had artistic vision of my own! 


I added a crackle finish which I think turned out so well... confession #2... it was an accident! I used an Elmers glue/paint mixture to texture the canvas with tissue paper and when I painted over it, it crackled. I love it. 


I had to add the texture because I re-purposed a canvas I used to have in the boys room when they were babies. The image underneath had a texture and it showed through. Didn't need an owl with a sailboat sticking through his feathers. Besides I think it makes it more interesting. 


Confession #3, I had planned to use his name and birth info in this really cute design of a branch for the owl to be standing on. But, I chickened out. The texture ended up being sort of difficult to paint any detail on and the lettering would have required LOTS of detail. I was afraid it wouldn't look right and thus, he got a little pad of grass instead. A little empty looking... but it will have to do. 


Welcome to the world R.J.! 

You came on the first day of spring, and while my painting isn't perfect, you certainly are! 




2 comments:

  1. That owl is stinkin' adorable! I've been threatening to try similar projects at home :).
    PS I nominated you for a Liebster!
    http://mommynotesblogs.blogspot.com/2013/03/liebster.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I'm the EXACT same way! People think I"m really creative, but I'm just a big ol' copy cat. I can duplicate anything, but when i try to come up with something on my own, I end up hating it. It's just so much easier to copy something I already know I like and can see how it is going to turn out! and PS.. i"m SUPER jealous that your kids like to color. I have never been able to sit down and color with my boys. NEVER. And believe me.. i've tried.

    ReplyDelete