Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What is this world coming to?



So I just saw a facebook post asking how much the tooth fairy leaves for kids these days. It was a perfect question as I have been waiting for the day when Nate discovers his first wiggly tooth. I was shocked when I saw $1, $2, and (gasp) even $5! For a tooth? Really? Doesn't that seem excessive? Maybe it's just me but I think the idea that a little fairy creeps into your room should be impressive enough without having to shell out $5 for her trouble. I am so over the days of excessive rewarding. I realize that my way of thinking is a little old fashioned. But..... gosh I just can't get over that $5 for a tooth..... we complain about kids these days. How many times do you hear a parent comment about kids not spending enough time outside, or spending too much time in front of the tv? Video games? Cell phones? Know who is to blame for all that? Parents, not the kids, it's us- the parents who create a sense of entitlement by leaving behind a $5 for a tooth when a quarter would have planted the same smile on that childs face. Less is more. Kids want/NEED you, the experience, the memory, the faith in something they can't see... not your money. Guess I should start preparing for the backlash when my sweet little darlings come home crying that their tooth fairy is cheap when they learn that she left most of her money with their friends. $5 for a tooth. Good grief people! 






7 comments:

  1. I know some parents who pay their kids $50 per tooth!! NO LIE!! Because their friends parents pay their kids that much, so they reason that,"How can we pay any less? Our kids will think they are less if they don't get as much." That is reaqlly what they said! SAD!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With 5 little kids who are going to be losing teeth all at the same time, the "tooth fairy" would be dropping more for baby teeth than she would for college! Nope, my babies will be getting quarters and they will be grateful! $50...insanity!

      Delete
  2. Hi! Jumped over from another blog! Just wanted to say that my parents gave us 50 cent pieces -such a cool gift! I still have mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received a few of those too, my grandfather collected them. Maybe a fun family tradition to carry on with my own kiddos!

      Delete
  3. Haha, I think I'm going to go with four quarters. That doesn't seem too excessive! Reminds me of Christmas this year when my boys discovered their stockings first and were exclaiming, "Santa brought me an APPLE!" without even noticing the bigger gifts right behind the stockings. We really do frame their expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our tooth fairy leaves a $1 coin for their very first tooth and after that is it quarters. We have 6 kids...only a few kids lose their teeth at the same time....but, still....$5 for a tooth. Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  5.  Hi, great post. I found you through the blog hop. Please stop  by and say hi when you get a chance.  .Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that started. It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Now following you.  Here's the link for it if you would like to check it out.
    http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-1.html Lenetta

    ReplyDelete