Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Nowhere I'd rather be

This morning was ridiculous. The kids have this awesome ability to wake up with enough energy to power the nation. Needless to say it can be difficult to swallow before 7am. I sat on the couch, my head throbbing from my daily morning headache, feeding my beautiful baby...who was sad because a certain 2yr old clocked her with the remote moments earlier. My husband has an even harder time dealing with the onslaught of chaos that smacks you in the face immediately as you drag yourself out of bed. He went off to work ( a firehouse day) and I got busy doing all the un-fun things that come with being alone with 5 little kids. After he was gone I sat and contemplated a few comments that were tossed around that morning ("lets run away", "we need a nanny", "I can't stand the mornings"). Then Kate let out a huge belly laugh. I agreed with everything that we had said, but I also thought to myself how glad I was that I was here, experiencing the gut wrenching noise and huge belly laughs, as opposed to driving in traffic to some God forsaken office job. I love being at home with my babies. It is HARD, like the hardest kind of hard. It requires patience and energy that no human could possibly possess.  But is anything else more worth the effort? No job that I ever had was. I would be just as aggravated, but at the end of the work day, did anyone really appreciate the effort I had put in that day? Had I really accomplished anything or changed any lives? Um, that would be a serious no. But now, I am at home, molding these young people. They end their days knowing they are safe and loved. Our world is crazy at best, but even on the very worst of days, there is no better place for me to be. 


6 comments:

  1. just cracked up over your comment on my blog!!! The "crappy cookie" comment" haha! Thanks for the comment and yes, my bro. is someone to know!

    As for this post - love it. I got so mad at someone yesterday when they said I could take a nap everyday. Like really mad! Err...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS hard work....no one understands it unless they've stayed home with their kids. And mornings are tough for us, too. I actually just blogged today about what I'm doing to combat that "moody morning syndrome" I have. :) I hope the rest of this week's morning go smoother for ya!
    -Kristen

    The Mrs. and The Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like a super hero to me, 5 kids in 5 years!! It may be crazy now, but one day your kids will look back on all that time you spent with them and will thank you. I did that with my mom. Thanks for linking up with us for Mommy Moments!
    thenotquitemilitarywife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your thoughts on staying home mirror mine exactly! And I have to agree, that morning onslaught is brutal...and I only have two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you on the mommy brain mixer this week! Following and commenting from http://fluffimama.blogspot.com/
    I hope you'll come check me out and do the same. Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I only have 1 child, with 1 on the way, I understand the life of a wife of a first responder. My husband, while not a fireman, is a paramedic, so I understand feeling like you raise the kids by yourself sometimes.

    New follower from the Mommy Mixer.
    http://musingsofamommabear.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete